Skip to main content

Featured post

Featured post ~ BBC Verify

UK should send non-combat troops to Ukraine now, former PM Johnson tells BBC


Former Prime Minister Boris Johnson says that the UK and its allies should deploy non-combat troops to Ukraine right now, to "flip a switch" in Russian President Vladimir Putin's head.

Speaking exclusively to Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg alongside the former head of the military, Adm Sir Tony Radakin, Johnson said troops should be sent to peaceful regions in non-fighting roles.

He said: "If we can have a plan for boots on the ground after the war, after Putin has condescended to have a ceasefire, then why not do it now?"

The UK government is currently working with its allies to plan a "coalition of the willing" to provide forces to preserve peace and stability in Ukraine, but only if there is a deal to end the war.

Speaking just days before the fourth anniversary of the war, Johnson, who was prime minister at the time of the invasion, also said the conflict could have been prevented if Western allies had paid more attention to Putin's increasing aggression and his annexation of Crimea in 2014.

Johnson and Sir Tony recounted the moment when Russia invaded Ukraine on 24 February 2022, and the early days of the war, when the decision to support President Volodymyr Zelensky was made.

Despite extensive UK support, they agreed that Western allies had been too slow and cautious in providing support to Ukraine.

In the past four years, allies have often taken months to agree to sending the weapons that President Zelensky has requested.

Sir Tony described the allies' approach as "incrementalism" and said Ukraine felt it was "too slow and it's deeply frustrating - these tensions have existed all the way through".

Johnson said that the caution had cost lives.

"We've always delayed needlessly," he said.

"We've then ended up giving the Ukrainians what they have been asking for, and actually it's always served to their advantage and to the disadvantage of Putin.

"I mean, the one person who suffers from escalation is Putin."

He added: "If we can have boots on the ground after the war, after Putin has condescended to have a ceasefire, then why not do it now?

"Just to make this point that it is up to the Ukrainians, and these people wouldn't be there in a war-fighting capacity, right?"

Asked if he meant that UK and other European allies' forces should go to safe parts of Ukraine now to "flip a switch", he said: "Yes, I think, you know, if we are willing to do it in the context of a ceasefire, which of course puts all the initiative, all the power in Putin's hands, why not do it now?

"There is no logical reason that I can see why we shouldn't send peaceful ground forces there to show our support, our constitutional support for a free, independent Ukraine.

"That is a political thing. It's about whether Ukraine is a free country or not. If it's a vassal state of Russia, which is what Putin wants, then obviously it's up to Putin to decide who comes to his country. If it's not, then it's up to the Ukrainians."

Putin would most likely view the presence of international troops, on a peacekeeping mission or not, as a major provocation.

In September last year, after the announcement of the proposed "reassurance force", Putin said any troops deployed to Ukraine would be "legitimate targets"

On Sunday, Defence Secretary John Healey said he would send British troops to Ukraine once the warring countries had reached a peace deal.

"I want to be the Defence Secretary who deploys British troops to Ukraine – because this will mean that this war is finally over," he wrote in the Telegraph.

"2026 must be the year this terrible war ends."

The defence secretary did not vow to send non-combat troops while the conflict continued, as Johnson suggested, underlining instead the level of UK military aid delivered to Ukraine and sanctions imposed on Russia.

In response to Johnson's comments, a Ministry of Defence spokesperson said: "We are proud of UK leadership on Ukraine - supporting the fight today and working to secure the peace tomorrow.

"It's why this government is providing the highest ever level of military support, including a recent half-billion-pound air defence package just last week, accelerating £200m for the UK military to prepare for any Ukraine deployment, and working with over 30 nations through the UK-led Coalition of the Willing."

Johnson said that the failure to confront Putin over the annexation of Crimea in 2014, when David Cameron was the UK prime minister, was "tragic".

And when asked if the UK and Western allies had enabled Putin's invasion by not taking his aggression seriously enough, Johnson said: "I do think that. The failure to do anything in Crimea was tragic.

"I think Putin was emboldened by a Western failure in Syria to punish Assad for using chemical weapons.

"I think Putin was further emboldened in February 2022 by what he'd seen in Afghanistan, and a sort of general sense that the West was on the back foot.

"He'd seen those appalling pictures of Americans being forced to flee Afghanistan and the UK pulling out as well, and that really did embolden him."

He went on to say that "the general ambiguity of the Western position" had harmed Ukraine, adding: "If we'd had clarity and simplicity about Ukraine, rather than endless fudge and obscurity, we could have saved that, we could have prevented that invasion."

Johnson, who was foreign secretary and prime minister during some of that period, admitted regret for not having taken more action.

"I do think we should have done more," he said.

"The real problem is, with Ukraine, that Putin does not yet believe, or he has not yet been convinced, that the West regards it as an overwhelming strategic objective for Ukraine to be a free and independent European country.

"And until he sees the evidence that that is our determination, I think he's just going to keep going.

"That's the problem we're in. It's that fundamental lack of resolve."

On defence spending, Sir Tony called on the government to "resolve" its promise to spend 3.5% of national income on defence by 2035, a promise made at the Nato summit last year.

He said: "We made, the prime minister made, an international commitment.

"The reason for that commitment was because there is a war in Europe. Russia is weak, but dangerous.

"We are safe as a country at the moment: we are a nuclear power, we're a member of Nato, we have America as our principal ally.

"But we need to invest in each of those in order to assure our nation that we will continue to be safe in the 2030s. That's why we had a defence review.

"That's why Nato galvanised around an operational plan and the need for more spending, and that has to be resolved.

"We have made that commitment. Nato is challenging us. Where is our plan?"


Analysis

As the war in Ukraine approaches its grim anniversary, it was striking to hear the former prime minister say, with regret, that the bloody conflict could have been prevented in the first place, claiming it was failures of the West, including times when he was foreign secretary and then in Number 10, that emboldened Putin.

Essentially, Boris Johnson's suggestion is that nearly a decade of foreign policy mistakes led to what's happening now.

That claim will be argued about for decades to come. But his eye-catching suggestion to send UK and allies' troops to Ukraine goes further than any suggestion currently being made by the UK or its partners in what Sir Keir Starmer called a "coalition of the willing" in our studio almost a year ago.

The former head of the military, sitting alongside Johnson, was one of the architects of that plan, preparing forces to be ready to go and support Ukraine if, and only if, there is a peace deal.

Back in 2022, Europe pledged support to Ukraine, but said sending troops was beyond what they were prepared to do. Switching the focus of the "coalition of the willing" to sending troops now would be a hugely significant political move. But it's not impossible that allies could discuss alternatives such as creating a safe zone in the west of the country or opening up Lviv airport, as a precursor to a ceasefire.

Johnson's suggestion seems borne out of his own frustration, particularly given his ongoing links with Ukraine, that the allies' response has been too halting - enough support so that Ukraine can keep fighting, not enough to bring an end to the war.

Both Johnson and Radakin were eager to emphasise that, in their view, President Zelensky has already made concessions, and that the only way to bring peace is to intensify the pressure on the Kremlin, economically, and militarily.

The former prime minister told me it was "deluded" to believe that the Russian leader wants peace, and he had told the White House as much. But as the loss of life on both sides continues, it is not clear how much further Western allies are willing to go, or how much Vladimir Putin is ready to listen.


~ BBC




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs Signs With The Weeknd Manager Wassim ‘SAL’ Slaiby's SALXCO & Amir ‘Cash’ Esmailian

Sean "Diddy" Combs   has hired manager  Wassim "Sal" Slaiby , best known for managing The Weeknd , Slaiby has confirmed to  Billboard . The Weeknd co-manager Amir "Cash" Esmailian has also been hired by Combs. Combs’ hiring of Slaiby and Esmailian follows the mogul's signing with WME in June, in a deal that also saw him partner with the agency to launch The Excellence Program, a virtual development program and resume database for aspiring entertainment executives from underrepresented communities. In May, Combs announced that he had officially changed his middle name  from “Diddy” to “Love” -- a moniker switch first revealed in 2017 -- though he is still commonly referred to as Diddy in the press. Slaiby, the founder and CEO of SALXCO and XO Records, also manages Doja Cat, French Montana, Bebe Rexha, Ty Dolla $ign  and Swedish House Mafia ,  who signed with him in June. Slaiby was named manager of the year by  Variety ...

'All I can say is sorry' - Rashford responds to racist abuse & opens up on Euro 2020 final penalty miss

Marcus Rashford has said that he has "felt no prouder moment" representing England at Euro 2020 and that he "will never apologise for who I am and where I came from" after he was subjected to racist abuse following the Three Lions' defeat to Italy. Gareth Southgate's side were beaten 3-2 on spot kicks in the Euro 2020 final, with Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka the three players to see their efforts fall short, leading to the trio receiving abhorrent racist messages online. Reflecting on his miss in the shootout, Manchester United forward Rashford admits that "something didn't feel quite right" before he stepped up to take the penalty, while he has vowed the Three Lions will "be back stronger" "I don't even know where to start and I don't even know how to put into words how I'm feeling at this exact time," Rashford wrote in a statement published on his social media accounts. "I've had ...

The Weeknd & Angelina Jolie Spotted Together Again

This is the second time The Weeknd and Angelina Jolie were spotted together. It's not clear whether they're dating, really good friends, or business partners, but  The Weeknd  and Angelina Jolie are getting pretty close. The two celebrities have been spotted together multiple times now following their initial spotting last week . Fans were surprised to have spotted them together having dinner at a lavish Los Angeles restaurant and this weekend, they were breathing the same air again. The Weeknd and Angelina Jolie were reportedly both at a private concert by Toronto artist Mustafa. Weeknd was seated with his friends while Jolie was nearby with two of her kids. Sources, including Page Six, have reported that this may lead to an amplified interest in an acting career for The Weeknd, who previously starred in  Uncut Gems . He currently has a few projects that he's working on, including HBO's The Idol ,  and his relations...

Drake & French Montana Tease Possible New Collab

Drake's Certified Lover Boy may have been delayed , but many expect to see the project sooner than later. In fact, we may have already seen a glimpse at the style  Drizzy plans on bringing to the table, with the  Scary Hours 2  three-pack   serving as a welcome prelude to the main event. Other than that, however, little else is known about Drake's sixth studio album. Today, French Montana  took to Instagram to signal a promising development. Sharing a picture of himself and The Boy, with whom he most recently  collaborated on the platinum hit "No Stylist, " French alluded to another forthcoming release from the pair. "We'll see what's 'bout to happen next, okayyyyyyyyyyy?!" he captions, allowing the image to fill in the appropriate blanks. Naturally, French's hype-inducing post sparked many to speculate about his involvement on  Certified Lover Boy,  though it should be noted that Montana has yet to appear on a...

'Good' & 'Bad' Still Best: Olivia Rodrigo & Ed Sheeran Hold Atop Billboard Global Charts

Olivia Rodrigo's "Good 4 U" rules the Billboard Global 200  for a sixth week, while Ed Sheeran' s "Bad Habits" notches a second week at No. 1 on the Billboard Global Excl. U.S . chart. Plus, Måneskin continues to scale the top three of both surveys with "Beggin'," after the Italian quartet won  the 2021 Eurovision Song Contest. Billboard 's two global charts (the latest of which are dated July 17) began  last September and rank songs based on streaming and sales activity culled from more than 200 territories around the world, as compiled by MRC Data. The Billboard Global 200 is inclusive of worldwide data and the Billboard Global Excl. U.S. chart comprises data from territories excluding the U.S. Chart rankings are based on a weighted formula incorporating official-only streams on both subscription and ad-supported tiers of audio and video music services, as well as download sales, the latter of which reflect purchases from full...

Justin Bieber Moves Justice World Tour to 2022 & Adds New Dates

Justin Bieber  is ready to bring  Justice  to the masses. The global pop star has announced rescheduled dates for his Justice World Tour, which was originally set to kick off this summer. Bieber will now hit the road in 2022, launching with a Feb. 18 show at Pechanga Arena in San Diego. The tour, promoted by AEG, will run through Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Denver, Atlanta, Montreal, Tampa, Austin and more. The 52-date trek will close out June 24 at American Family Insurance Amphitheater in Milwaukee. “We’re working hard to make this tour the best one yet,” Bieber said in a release. “I’m excited to get out there and engage with my fans again.” In addition to the rescheduled dates, Bieber has added another seven performances to the tour. Tickets for the newly announced shows in Jacksonville, Orlando, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Des Moines, Austin and Uncasville, Connecticut, will go on sale later this month. The tour will be in support of Bieber'...

Those Who Wish Me Dead Trailer: Angelina Jolie Fights Fire & Assassins

Angelina Jolie  is fighting off fire and assassins in the trailer for Those Who Wish Me Dead.  Jolie stars as Hannah Faber, a smokejumper and survival expert who crosses paths with a young child, played by Finn Little, on the run from two assassins. Little's character, Connor, has witnessed a murder and the two assassins (Nicholas Hoult and Aidan Gillen) are determined to flush him out of the Montana wilderness so they can get rid of any loose ends. What they didn't expect is for Connor to team up with Hannah and the film will follow the two as they navigate the burning forest after the assassins set the wilderness ablaze. Those Who Wish Me Dead  hails from Taylor Sheridan who wrote and directed the neo-western film. Sheridan is known for his gritty tales set in the modern American west. Before he began directing, Sheridan helped write Denis Villeneuve's  Sicario  and David Mackenzie's Hell or High   Water   before directing ...

Meet The Designer Behind Cartier’s Most Iconic Watches Adored By Bella, Dua, & More

A surprising fact about Marie-Laure Cérède, Cartier's  creative director of watchmaking, is that she never wears her wristwatch  set to the right time. “It’s a creative statement,” she tells  Vogue . “I don’t want my Cartier  watch to tell me the time. My time is busy, and this is an object of grace and beauty.” Her words echo that of artist Andy Warhol, who was rarely seen without his Cartier Tank, of which he once said:   “I don’t wear a Tank watch to tell the time. Actually, I never even wind it. I wear a Tank because it is the watch to wear.”  Watches created by the 174-year-old maison, which first began as a jeweller, have long adorned the wrists of the stylish and influential, from Princess Diana (Tank Solo) and Michelle Obama ( Tank Francaise)  to Dua Lipa and Bella Hadid (both Panthère de Cartier fans). And Cérède is charged with building on that legacy, which can be traced back to 1904 – when Louis Cartier first cre...

Travel ~ The Best Spas in Europe That Mix Travel With Pure Relaxation

As summer comes to an end and the colder months loom, what better time to book yourself in for some pampering? With outstanding views, innovative treatments, and gourmet dining, Europe is home to some of the most rejuvenating retreats in the world. Take Royal Champagne Hotel And Spa, which nestled amongst the region’s rolling vineyards offers a picture-perfect all sleep   experience. After a full-body MOT and complete detox , while going offline in the beauty of nature? VivaMayr in the Austrian Alps has you covered. Below, find pick of the best spas in Europe that deliver on luxury wellness. Royal Champagne Hotel and Spa Wind your way through the picturesque rolling vineyards of Champillon and eventually you’ll reach the elegant Royal Champagne Hotel And Spa—the region’s first contemporary luxury spa hotel. A wine-country retreat, Royal Champagne has two exceptional restaurants (including the one Michelin-starred Le Royal with a menu orchestrated b...

This Extortion & Scam Must Stop - Tuface Idibia Calls Out NCDC For Frustrating Travelers

Nigerian singer, Innocent Ujah Idibia, popularly known as “2baba” has called out the Nigerian Center For Disease Control, NCDC, for frustrating travelers. Recall that the Federal Government earlier made the COVID-19 test compulsory component for travelers following the pandemic. Following the development, there have been complaints from Nigerians who lamented the inefficiency of the workers in the Agency to deliver prompt services to travelers. In a related development, 2baba in a video via his Instagram account on Wednesday, lashed out at the Agency for frustrating him and other travelers who had important errands and business dealings to do. The singer complained bitterly, adding that after requesting for such a huge amount like 50 thousand from travelers, the NCDC is nowhere to be found even when they know people travel every second. NCDC you people better wake up because you’re causing serious problems and hardship for people traveling. “You keep requesting for ransoms ...