Former Vice President Mike Pence lauded the Supreme Court's decision Friday to strike down many of the Trump administration’s tariffs.
A 6-3 majority of the court’s justices ruled that President Trump unlawfully used an emergency statute to impose far-reaching tariffs on American trading partners.
“In Learning Resources, Inc. v. Trump, our Supreme Court has reaffirmed that the Constitution grants Congress – not the President – the power to tax,” Pence posted on the social platform X. “American families and American businesses pay American tariffs – not foreign countries. With this decision, American families and businesses can breathe a sigh of relief.”
Following his departure from the White House, Pence has become a regular critic of the president and his economic policies.
Pence had previously warned of the risks these proposed policies could have on U.S. consumers and the economy. In an exclusive interview with The Hill after Trump’s tariff announcement last April, the former vice president called the move a “misstep.”
“I don’t think the American people were voting for what would amount to the largest peacetime tax hike in American history, which, the tariffs that were announced last week, if left in place, would certainly be, and the hardship they’d place on working families and businesses large and small,” he said at the time.
Pence is the founder of the conservative organization Advancing American Freedom. The organization’s amicus brief program collaborated on the case against Trump’s tariffs, Pence said.
“With this historic decision, America can now return to the pursuit of Free Trade with Free Nations under the Constitution of the United States!” Pence wrote on X.
~ thehill.com
Comments
Post a Comment